01/08/2016 - Congratulations to Bouke Wiersma on completion of his Public Engagement PhD in Guernsey1 Aug 2016
Bouke Wiersma has completed his PhD into public opinions towards renewable energy in Guernsey. He used Guernsey as an example of island territories and Guernsey’s renewable energy team has been working closely with him since the start of his PhD 3 and a half years ago.
The study was broken down into 3 data gathering studies, the results of which are available from our documents page, using a variety of traditional and novel sampling methods. The work has been and will continue to be used to inform RET’s strategy going forward.
Bouke successfully defended his viva in February and has now completed the write up of his thesis. Bouke will be sending copies of the thesis to the people who have been both directly involved in the research (participants) and those who have been of significant help to the thesis more generally. The Thesis is also available to download from the University of Exeter website via the following link - https://ore.exeter.ac.uk/repository/handle/10871/21565.
RET would like to thank Bouke for the work he has done and working so closely with us to get the best research for Guernsey as well as for his PhD. Also many thanks to his PhD supervisor Professor Patrick Devine-Wright who has been very willing to provide his time and expertise as part of the PhD.
Many congratulations again to Bouke for the completion of his PhD, and for all the hard work he has put in.
Bouke's Graduation - Professor Patrick Devine-Wright and Bouke Wiersma
21/07/2016 - Working with Universities – Update21 Jul 2016
RET have continued to work closely with Universities over the past year, with a number of student projects either underway or recently completed with the University of Exeter, Cranfield University, Plymouth University and the Ecole Polytechnique in Paris.
01/05/2016 - Renewable energy work under new Committee1 May 2016
On May 1st the structure of Guernsey's Government changed. There are fewer Deputies (a reduction from 45 to 38) and six Principal Committees rather than ten Departments. For more information on the changes to the structure of government in Guernsey please see https://gov.gg/article/153106/Constitution-of-the-States-of-Deliberation-and-Committee-Responsibilities.
19/04/2016 - RET open Day at Beau Sejour19 Apr 2016
Commerce and Employment’s (C&E) Renewable Energy Team (RET) will be at Beau Sejour on Tuesday 19th April. RET will be alongside the poster display which will be located by the main entrance, in front of the bar, between 10am and 3 pm, and then later from 5pm until around 6pm.
Commerce and Employment Renewable Energy Team to undertake Open Day and associated Poster Display16 Mar 2016
Commerce and Employment’s (C&E) Renewable Energy Team (RET) are continuing their work progressing the groundwork in advance of the deployment of macro renewables energy in Guernsey. An important part of this work is to engage more closely with the public on the activities that are being undertaken and to update on the state of the industries.
As part of engaging with the public RET have (building on work undertaken with Exeter University as part of the UK’sEconomic & Social Research Council’s Festival of Social Science) put together a display of posters aimed at engaging the public, answering a numberof common questions and raising awareness of the work the RET does.
The posters will be on display at the Airport (ground side) from March the 21st until April the 3rd, and then will be on display at Beau Sejour from the 4thApril until the 19th.
On Tuesday 19th April members of RET will be in attendance at Beau Sejour alongside the posters, to discuss the work of RET and answer any questions. Professor Devine-Wright of Exeter University, who oversaw the PhD into public opinion of marine renewable energy on Guernsey, will also be in attendance.
Copies of the poster display, associated leaflet and feedback form can be found below.
- 01/08/2016 - Congratulations to Bouke Wiersma on completion of his Public Engagement PhD in Guernsey
- 21/07/2016 - Working with Universities – Update
- 01/05/2016 - Renewable energy work under new Committee
- 19/04/2016 - RET open Day at Beau Sejour
- Commerce and Employment Renewable Energy Team to undertake Open Day and associated Poster Display
- 01/01/16 - RET releases 2016 strategy and review of 2015
- 23/11/15 - Consultants Appointed for Offshore Wind Work
- November 12th & 13th - University of Exeter Festival of Social Science: Visualising public engagement with marine renewable energies
- 30/10/15 - Renewable Energy Legislation Passed
- 14/10/15 CIMREG Officers Meeting Held in Guernsey
- 08/09/2015 - Commerce and Employment and Guernsey Electricity Limited continue feasibility work into local offshore wind energy project
- 01/08/2015 - RET Continue to Work with Universities
- 30/06/2015 - Results from Island Wide Survey on Offshore Renewable Energy Shows Strong Support for Renewables
- 18/06/2015 - RET release renewable energy ordinance response document
- 20/05/2015 - Thetis EMR conference
- 21/04/2015 - Channel Islands Marine Renewable Energy Group Political Summit
- 28/01/2015 - Public Engagement PhD - Guernsey Opinion Survey: Renewable Energy
- 21/01/2015 - Consultation on Renewable Energy Ordinance Closes
- 30/11/2014 - Public Engagement PhD completes second of three studies
- 19/11/2014 - RET Release Updated Strategy and Review of 2014