Offshore wind energy involves construction of wind turbines in the marine environment. Offshore turbines are more expensive than onshore developments but provide greater options in regard to potential and scale e.g. the number of arrays constructed as defined by the resource availability and energy demand.
Devices can be fixed to the seabed or floated on the water surface. Floating turbine technology is however still developing and costs remain higher than fixed devices.
Fixed devices are however limited by water depth and therefore may have to be situated in areas of shallow water.
Copyright: Bluebird Marine Systems Ltd www.bluebird-electric.net
Wind energy is the most mature of the marine resources and is currently the most cost competitive.
RET continues to investigate the potential for offshore wind energy considering not only generation potential but also public opinions and potential impacts (social, economic and environmental).
- 01/08/2016 - Congratulations to Bouke Wiersma on completion of his Public Engagement PhD in Guernsey
- 21/07/2016 - Working with Universities – Update
- 01/05/2016 - Renewable energy work under new Committee
- 19/04/2016 - RET open Day at Beau Sejour
- Commerce and Employment Renewable Energy Team to undertake Open Day and associated Poster Display
- 01/01/16 - RET releases 2016 strategy and review of 2015
- 23/11/15 - Consultants Appointed for Offshore Wind Work
- November 12th & 13th - University of Exeter Festival of Social Science: Visualising public engagement with marine renewable energies
- 30/10/15 - Renewable Energy Legislation Passed
- 14/10/15 CIMREG Officers Meeting Held in Guernsey
- 08/09/2015 - Commerce and Employment and Guernsey Electricity Limited continue feasibility work into local offshore wind energy project
- 01/08/2015 - RET Continue to Work with Universities
- 30/06/2015 - Results from Island Wide Survey on Offshore Renewable Energy Shows Strong Support for Renewables
- 18/06/2015 - RET release renewable energy ordinance response document
- 20/05/2015 - Thetis EMR conference
- 21/04/2015 - Channel Islands Marine Renewable Energy Group Political Summit
- 28/01/2015 - Public Engagement PhD - Guernsey Opinion Survey: Renewable Energy
- 21/01/2015 - Consultation on Renewable Energy Ordinance Closes
- 30/11/2014 - Public Engagement PhD completes second of three studies
- 19/11/2014 - RET Release Updated Strategy and Review of 2014