Wind AssessmentRET have extended the REA to wind to take account of the workstreams that are currently underway investigating the resource. As well as this it has been identified as the only large scale near term option for Macro Renewable development.
The following chapters have been revised based on the additional effects that Wind will have on the receptors. Any chanpter not listed are to be read as the same as the Wave and Tidal REA released in 2011.
- Chapters 1-3 - Introduction, Background and Method
Chapter 5 – Wind Resource
Chapter 9 - Birds
Chapter 11 - Commercial Fisheries and Mariculture
Chapter 15 - Shipping and Navigation
Chapter 19 - Landscape and Seascape Character
This is the introduction to the revised wind assessment, providing the background to the document as well as the processes followed. This makes up the first three chapters of the document. This document also includes an Executive Summary of the REA.
CH 5 – Wind Resource (600KB)
This chapter discusses the wind resource around Guernsey and how making use of historical airport data along with new data from the Mast at Choet can give us reasonable wind resource predictions. There is also a brief analysis of radar issues on wind farms. For more detail on Wind farms and aviation please see the Civil Aviation Authority paper - CAA Policy and Guidelines on Wind Turbine - http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=2358.
CH 9 – Birds (1MB)
This Chapter looks at the species of seabirds within the study area.
This Chapter looks at the significant commercial fishing activity withing the study area.
This chapter of the REA gives an overview of the shipping movements in the REA study area and considers the sensitivity of shipping and navigation to marine renewable energy.
This chapter looks at the impacts that marine renewable energy development may have on the landscape and seascape character of the coastline of Guernsey.
- 01/08/2016 - Congratulations to Bouke Wiersma on completion of his Public Engagement PhD in Guernsey
- 21/07/2016 - Working with Universities – Update
- 01/05/2016 - Renewable energy work under new Committee
- 19/04/2016 - RET open Day at Beau Sejour
- Commerce and Employment Renewable Energy Team to undertake Open Day and associated Poster Display
- 01/01/16 - RET releases 2016 strategy and review of 2015
- 23/11/15 - Consultants Appointed for Offshore Wind Work
- November 12th & 13th - University of Exeter Festival of Social Science: Visualising public engagement with marine renewable energies
- 30/10/15 - Renewable Energy Legislation Passed
- 14/10/15 CIMREG Officers Meeting Held in Guernsey
- 08/09/2015 - Commerce and Employment and Guernsey Electricity Limited continue feasibility work into local offshore wind energy project
- 01/08/2015 - RET Continue to Work with Universities
- 30/06/2015 - Results from Island Wide Survey on Offshore Renewable Energy Shows Strong Support for Renewables
- 18/06/2015 - RET release renewable energy ordinance response document
- 20/05/2015 - Thetis EMR conference
- 21/04/2015 - Channel Islands Marine Renewable Energy Group Political Summit
- 28/01/2015 - Public Engagement PhD - Guernsey Opinion Survey: Renewable Energy
- 21/01/2015 - Consultation on Renewable Energy Ordinance Closes
- 30/11/2014 - Public Engagement PhD completes second of three studies
- 19/11/2014 - RET Release Updated Strategy and Review of 2014